Fourth of July Message
The Escambia County Sheriff's Office wishes you and your family an exciting and safe Fourth of July holiday as we celebrate our country's independence from Great Britain on July 4, 1776. You can learn more about Independence Day history at pbs.org.
- Never allow young children to play with or ignite fireworks.
- Avoid buying fireworks that are packaged in brown paper because this is often a sign that the fireworks were made for professional displays and could pose a danger to consumers.
- Never point or throw fireworks at another person.
- Keep a bucket of water or a garden hose handy in case of fire or other mishap.
- After fireworks complete their burning, douse the spent device with plenty of water from a bucket or hose before discarding it to prevent a trash fire.
For anyone who is traveling this Fourth of July weekend, remember to always wear your seat belt and never drink and drive. Instead, call a designated driver to get you home safely. Not only do you risk your life when you drive impaired, but you are also putting the other drivers you share the roadway with at risk, too.
The Escambia County Sheriff's Office wishes everyone a fun and safe Fourth of July weekend!
Sheriff Grover Smith