For a crime to occur, an opportunity has to exist and a motivated criminal has to be present. Help prevent crime by taking informed steps to make your neighborhood, business, and family safe, resistant to crime and unattractive to criminals.
Staying Safe at Home
- Avoid confrontations with burglars.
- Lock all doors, even if you are at home.
- If you are leaving for vacation, make sure your house doesn’t look empty. Make it look like it is lived in. Activate timers for light switches. Order a temporary hold to newspaper and mail delivery, or ask a trusted neighbor or friend to pick up items delivered to your home daily.
Avoiding Identity Theft
- Do not throw away papers that have your personal information on them without tearing or shredding them.
- Guard your mail from being stolen. Remove mail from your box shortly after it has been delivered.
Keeping Kids Safe
- Warn children about “stranger danger.”
- Know whom your kids are talking to on social networks such as Facebook.
Here are helpful links to learn more about crime prevention.